23 May 2014

Basilica del Crocifisso, Amalfi

Situated next to the Cattedrale di Sant'Andrea, the Museo Diocesano della Basilica del Crocifisso (Basilica of the Crucifix) dates to before 833 AD, and is the oldest remaining church in Amalfi. The Basilica was restored in the Baroque period; the Baroque elements were removed during restoration work done in 1931. After World War II, the Basilica was abandoned, only to be restored and reopened in 1996.

Statue of Madonna with Child

The Basilica is home to a gallery of relics and works dating from the Gothic period, Roman sarcophagi, and some remains of thirteenth-century frescoes and mosaic fragments from the ancient facade of the basilica.

Fresco, Jesus and Disciples, 13th Century (background)

Sources: